I was browsing old issues of National Review (don’t ask) when I found these pithy aphorisms. Enjoy!
From the pages of NR, Sept. 11, 1987:
- Everybody knows everything.
- Who says A must say B.
- Just as good, isn’t.
- You cannot invest in retrospect.
- Wherever there is prohibition there’s a bootlegger.
- In every project there’s a Schlamm.
- You can’t divorce yourself.
- Every member must pay his dues.
- No excuse, sir.
- If there’s no alternative, there’s no problem.
As I understand it, Rule #6 refers to Willi Schlamm, who was the sort of person who’s often right but always is a walking hemorrhoid.